Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Got Worms?

Lots of folks have been asking me lately about composting and vermicomposting. As a result, I've been experimenting with building simple vermicomposters and I've decided I'm willing to make them for others for a small fee. If you would like an 18-gallon converted plastic tote Vermicomposter (AKA "worm bin") for your home, I am now taking orders. $20 without the red wigglers, $35 with. If you decide you want to buy the worms yourself, you can get them at many bait shops or from Growing Power in MKE for $25 per five gallon bucket.

I use my worm castings as fertilizer (straight or in the form of "compost tea") for houseplants, outdoor container plants and small vegetable gardens (i.e. square foot garden beds). The stuff is amazing; I'm fairly convinced the reason my houseplants and vegetable seedlings are so green and healthy is because I'm feeding them with compost tea made from worm castings on a weekly basis. The great thing about having a worm composter in your kitchen or basement is that it's easily accessible and can be used year round.

The other advantage of having a worm bin is the reduction in garbage you toss each week. When you add coffee grounds, egg shells, vegetable and fruit scraps and shredded newspaper to your bin, your garbage can is lighter each week, thus reducing your carbon footprint.

If you want to place an order for a vermicomposter, e-mail me directly at heatherzydek(at)gmail(dot)com. Your bin can be ready within 3 to 5 days of your order. I will provide some written instructions and will be available by e-mail to answer any questions you have about your bin.

1 comment:

  1. I have a system that I did myself using 3 totes (only using 2 of the 3 now), but perhaps you can help me understand more about when its ready? I am so unsure of myself. I have no idea at all about this 3rd bin or when this is ready or anything. It stresses me out.lol.

    ReplyDelete