Friday, March 13, 2009

Mango Seed

I'm always looking for new things to try growing. So when I noticed a forgotten mango ripening to the point of rotting in my fruit basket, I decided to do a little googling, see if I could find out if one can grow mangos from the seed obtained from grocery store fruits. I certainly don't have the tall ceilings and sunlight to grow a fruiting mango tree (from what I've read, they get pretty tall) but I still thought it would be fun to see what I could come up with.

So I cut open the soft mango, composted the peelings and squishy, overripe fruit and removed the inner core. Then I rinsed the core, using a knife to remove the extra strands of mango that clung to the hard white seed. I nicked the seed with the knife and placed the seed in a plastic bag with moist seed starter and peat moss. Then I put the bag on bottom shelf inside my mini green house, rolling down the sides of the bag for ventilation.

If you'd like a mango tree "recipe," google the keywords "growing mango seed" and you'll find plenty of information on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment